Danijel Skočaj, PhD
Head of the laboratory
Visual Cognitive Systems Laboratory
Faculty of Computer and Information Science
University of Ljubljana
Večna pot 113
Danijel Skočaj is an associate professor at the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Computer and Information Science. He is the head of the Visual Cognitive Systems Laboratory. His main research interests lie in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, and cognitive robotics. In the framework of basic and applied research, he's been developing and introducing new advanced methods of deep learning and computer vision for solving complex problems requiring processing of visual information. He is also interested in the ethical aspects of artificial intelligence, machine learning and robotics, and the influence of the development of these technologies on society. He's been lecturing the courses from the fields of computer vision, cognitive robotics, and deep learning. He has led or collaborated in a number of projects from these research areas, such as EU projects, national research projects as well as industry-funded applied projects. Through the research and development applied projects he's been facilitating the transfer of research findings into practical applications.
The main research interests: computer vision, pattern recognition, deep learning, cognitive systems.
ARRS Basic research project.
Project duration: 2018 - 2021
Project duration: 2009-2014.
Applied ARRS project.
Project duration: 2014 - 2017
PKP project, 2014 (pages in slovenian).
Teaching in 2020/21
- Deep learning (Deep learning)
- Robotics and machine perception (Robotika in računalniško zaznavanje)
- Development of intelligent systems (Development of intelligent systems)
- Seminar 1 and 3 (Seminar 1, Seminar 3 )
- Deep learning for computer vision (Deep learning for computer vision)
- Introduction to computer science (Uvod v računalništvo)
- Scientific skills 2 (Veščine v znanstvenem delu 2, 3.st.)
- Production of multimedia content (Produkcija multimedijskih gradiv)
- Artificial intelligence (Umetna inteligenca, 3.st.)
- Algorithms and data structures 1 (Algoritmi in podatkovne strukture 1)
- Distributed intelligent software technologies (Porazdeljene inteligentne programske tehnologije)
- Data structures and algorithms (Podatkovne strukture in algoritmi (UL PeF))
- Computer science (Računalništvo (UL FPP))
All information about the courses is provided on the internal pages of FRI.
- 2020: The Golden Plaque for exceptional contributions to the development of scientific, pedagogical or artistic endeavours, and for strengthening the reputation of the University of Ljubljana.
- 2019: Special recognition for outstanding research achievement, Faculty of Computer and information science, UL.
- 2013, 2017, 2019: Best paper in the Pattern recognition session award, International Electrotechnical and Computer Science Conference ERK 2013, 2017, 2019, Portorož, Slovenia.
- 2012: Award for exceptional scientific achievement in the Republic of Slovenia in the year 2011 (ARRS).
- 2002: Best PhD paper award, 11th International Electrotechnical and Computer Science Conference ERK 2002, Portorož, Slovenia.
- 2002: Best paper award, 26th Workshop of the Austrian Association for Pattern Recognition (ÖAGM/AAPR), Graz, Austria.
Awards of my students:
- 2020, Special award for research work of postgraduate students at UL, Faculty of Computer and Information Science (Matej Dobrevski)
- 2020, Prešeren Prize for Students of the University of Ljubljana for outstanding achievements in science and art (Jaka Šircelj)
- 2013, 2019, Faculty Prešeren Prize, UL, Faculty of Computer and Information Science (Klemen Istenič, Kristian Žarn)
- IEEE, Slovenia section, former chairman of the Slovenian Computer Society
- IAPR, Slovenian patter recognition Society, former chairman
- School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, UK
- DFKI Saarbrucken, Germany
- ACIN, Technische Universität Wien, Austria
- PRIP Laboratory, Institute of Automation, Technical University Vienna, Austria
- Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision, Technical University Graz, Austria
- Center for Machine Perception, Czech Technical University, Prague, Czech Republic
- Computational Vision and Active Perception, Numerical Analysis and Computer Science, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- 11th IEEE International Conference on Face and Gesture Recognition FG2015, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 4-8 May 2015
- CogX Spring School 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 24-30 April 2010
- RSS 2008 Workshop on Interactive robot learning, Zurich, Switzerland, 28 June 2008.
- ECCV 2006, Graz, Austria, 7-13 May 2006
- Cognitive Systems Kickoff, Bled, Slovenia, 28-30 October 2004
- Computer Vision Winter Workshop 2004, Piran, Slovenia, 2-4 February 2004